Aug 22, 2013

Strange things are happening. I want to hear what you would do...

So, I had an awesome workout last night, but something pretty abnormal happened; I maxed out in all my exercises with the planned weights. Depending on what type of training you are doing there are several different options you have, but first lets go over my workout:

·         Barbell Squats:
o   4 sets, 65 lbs, 20 reps per set, 30 sec rest between sets
·         Barbell Lunges:
o   4 sets, 45 lbs, 10 reps per leg per set, 30 sec rest between sets
·         Dumbbell Stiff Leg Dead-lifts:
o   4 sets, 20 lbs, 20 reps per set, 30 sec rest between sets
·         Lying leg Curl Machine:
o   4 sets, 30 lbs, 15 reps per set, 30 sec rest between sets
·         Seated Calf Raises:
o   4 sets, 45 lbs, 20 reps per set, 30 sec rest between sets
·         Standing Calf Raises:
o   4 sets, 75 lbs, 15 reps per set, 30 sec rest between sets
·         Interval Training on the Indoor Cycle (the kind they use for classes)
o   5 minute warm up (2 min – resistance 0, 2 min – resistance 1, 1 minute –resistance 2)
o   Intervals: each interval was 1 minute off the seat with a high cadence (pedal speed), 3 minutes sitting
§  1st: resistance 2
§  2nd: resistance 3
§  3rd & 4th: resistance 4
o   Cool down (4 min – res 3, 3 min – res 2, 2 min – res 1, 1 min – res 0)

Then 20 minutes of stretching including 3 sun salutations and a stretch of all major muscle groups (biceps, triceps, chest, back, shoulders, hip flexors, hip extenders, quads, hamstrings, calves, and anterior tibialous).

So, the goal is a safe, progressive overload in one week when I repeat the same workout. I know what I’m going to do but I want to hear what your suggestions are in the comments below:

(a)    Increase all weight loads by roughly 5%
(b)   Increase total goal number of reps for each set by 3
(c)    Add an additional 2 exercises
(d)   Other:


I will tell you that there is no truly right or wrong, but I know what will work best for me and I've already planned my workout next week. But I want to hear what you have to say.

1 comment:

  1. I'd probably slowly up the weight. But my goal is usually muscle building. If you're looking for endurance... why not shorten the rest between sets while keeping the weight lighter?

    ReplyDelete